Before creating a Route, make sure the Stops are created first. If you need assistance in creating stops, please see Creating a New Stop Location
Video: Creating a Route
The Routes are set up in 3 steps:
Provide a Route Name
Set Route Navigation (stops and navigational waypoints)
- Setting the Route ride times
Once a Route is created, the Route Navigation and Route Schedule can be added to, edited, and deleted.
Step 1: Provide a Route Name
In the Routes tab, Click “New Route”
Enter Route Name
Enter Short Name.
- Enter Headsign. This headsign is the placard or sign that appears on the outside of the bus. This sign helps riders know which bus to board.
Select a Route Color
To avoid any confusion with traffic overlay, we recommend avoiding shades
of Red, Yellow or Green
- Enter Tag keywords
Tags can be used to search and help filter Routes. Within the Map tab, you can search for your tag using the format #<tagname>
- The Direction (Inbound/Outbound) should be defined based on the type of Route created. This setting affects how Arrival and Departure of stops are calculated. Please make sure to read the following document.
Step 2: Set Route Navigation (stops and navigational waypoints)
- Select the Route from the Route list in the left-hand panel
- Click “New Route Service”
- Select the Navigation tab from the selections in the main panel
- Click “Add Stop”
- Start entering the name of the Stop and select from auto-generated list
- Repeat steps 4-5 until all Stops have been added
- The navigation path will auto generate based on the Stops added. Once all Stops have been added, to manually re-route the path, select the area on the map you wish to re-route and drag it to the new path.A triangle icon will appear on the map wherever a route has been re-routed. To delete, click on the triangle and click “Delete”.
- Click “Save”
Step 3: Setting the Route ride times
- With your Route selected and Navigation already set, select the Schedule tab from the selections in the main panel
- Enter the Start Date and End Date (optional)
- Select the days of the week the Route Service runs.
- Click “Add Ride”
- Enter the scheduled arrival time for each Stop
- Repeats steps 4 & 5 until all Rides have been added
- Click “Save”
- If a change is made to a Schedule, Assignments must be reset.
Auto Time: Tripshot’s Auto Time feature can be selected from the Ride pull down menu.Once the time is added for the first stop, Auto Time will auto calculate the estimated arrival times for the following stops. Traffic is not taken into consideration with Auto Time and this should be used as a baseline.
Headway Time: Copy the timetable from an existing Ride from the same Route to a new Ride by entering the time for the first stop and then selecting "Copy Headway Time" and select the Ride you wish to copy.
Exclusion Date: Exclude specific dates that would normally meet the set scheduling criteria.
Extra Date: Add specific dates that fall outside the set scheduling criteria.