Dispatchers are communications personnel responsible for tracking, managing, scheduling, and providing support to the commute operation. The Dispatchers can use Tripshot to make sure all the stops, routes, schedules, and assignments are accurate.
A Shift is a grouping of Rides that are assigned to a driver and vehicle. As a Driver, it is common to have a AM and a PM shift assigned to them. Each shift can be created with a Yard Stop to represent where the vehicle is located and at which time a Driver must "check in" to Dispatch operations. The "checked in" state confirms to Dispatch that the drivers are ready to run the rides within their shift and no re-assignments are needed.
- Rides will only be tracked if the shift has been "Checked-In". This can be done by the Driver (via the Tripshot Driver App) or from the Dispatch team.
- If the driver arrives at each stop geofence at the correct time, each Ride will be monitored and completed successfully.
- A vehicle/driver can only be actively monitored to 1 ride at a time. If a Driver has multiple Rides assigned in a day, the later Ride will never be monitored until the earlier Ride has been Completed or Cancelled. Ride 2 will not be monitored until Ride 1 finishes.
- Drivers can mark Rides "Complete" via the Tripshot Driver app if they do not visit every stop within that route. This could be due to no passengers being picked up or all passengers being dropped off.
Tripshot has implemented many enhancements to ensure the correct ride is being monitored.
- Rides will auto-complete when driver visits last stop
- Driver can manually set rides to "complete" via Tripshot Driver App if all the stops are not visited
- If Drivers forget to mark Rides "complete", the Ride will be marked "auto complete" by Tripshot platform at their next scheduled Ride
- Dispatchers can manually mark Rides complete
Check In Drivers
In order for the GPS and Ride Monitor to be tied to the correct Ride, a Driver must Check In to a Shift. This can be done by the following ways:
- The Driver can Check In via the Tripshot Driver App.
- The Dispatcher can Check In the Driver via the Dashboard-> Shifts view.
A Check In lets the dispatch team know that the driver has accepted all rides within the shift.
There are cases when a Shift may need to be Checked In multiple times. The following are the scenarios:
- Dispatch team adds an additional Ride to the Shift assignment.
- A ride is accidentally completed. When this is done, Dispatch will need to restart the ride AND ride will need to be Checked-in again.
If a shift has already checked-in, the time of the 1st Check In will appear. Next to the time will be another Check In button with a red warning asterisk next to it. A driver can Check In via the Tripshot Driver App, Dispatch can Check-in at Shift level, or at the Ride Level. If Check-in is done at Shift level, all rides within that Shift will be ready to be active. If Check-in done at the Ride level, only that ride will be ready to be active.
Complete a Ride
A Ride can be marked completed the following ways:
- The Driver reaches the last assigned stop geofence.
- The Driver marks the Ride complete via the Tripshot Driver App.
- The Dispatcher navigates to Admin-> Dispatch-> Rides and selects the Complete option
Restart a Ride
A Dispatcher should restart a ride when the Driver accidentally marks a Ride "complete" via the Tripshot Driver App.
To Restart a Ride, navigate to Admin-> Dispatch-> Rides and select Restart.
Cancel a Ride
If a Ride is Cancelled and will not be running for that day, a notification will automatically be sent out to Riders who subscribed for stop notifications within that ride. This will inform riders that no service is available.
A Dispatcher can Cancel a ride via the Admin-> Dispatch-> Rides view. Notifications will automatically be generated.
Mark a Device down
If a ride is set with "Mark Device Down", an automatic notification will be sent to Riders to inform them “Device Down, no real time data available". Riders should know to arrive at their scheduled stop time in order to not miss their departure.
A Ride should be set to "Mark Device Down", if the Tripshot Driver app is currently not active. This could be due to: tablet has no battery, GPS or data service is unavailable, Tripshot Driver app is not running.
A device can be set to Mark Device down by navigating to Admin-> Dispatch-> Rides.
Shift Level Reassignment
Shift re-assignment can be done from the Admin-> Dispatch-> Shifts view. If a Driver or a Vehicle needs to be re-assigned for the current day, click on the Edit pencil icon.
The Driver and Vehicle can be updated by typing the name.
Dispatcher Tips and Tricks
1. Make sure to understand all Alerts Types. Navigate to: Understanding Alerts
2. Use the Search field for the following: driver name, vehicle name, route name, stops, shift name, vehicle license plate number, and stop times. A combination of any of these will make the search criteria more accurate.
3. A search filter of “:active”, “:delayed”, or “:down” can be used. This will only display Rides that meet the following criteria.
4. The best way to troubleshoot any issues is to view the Ride History. Navigate to Dispatch > Rides. Click on Options icon > View History.
The Ride History can be used to show DVR playback of the Ride.
If you need more help on this go to How to View a Device History